It’s no secret that I’m elated about athleisure topping the current “trend charts”. I love that there are lines that give so many options for activewear to be both functional and polished at the same time. My job requires activewear everyday, which most days, is one of my favorite things about it ;).
There are times, however, when I find myself mindlessly throwing on performance clothing for weeks on end which can send me into a funk. I’ve found myself jealous of my friends who get to shop their closet for polished business attire and accessories. The more I thought about it, I realized that I could put the same effort into styling my own activewear/athleisure in a way that makes me feel like I’m getting dressed for work.
If you find yourself living in activewear, I’ve come up with some tips that can hopefully help you feel just as put together as your friends in pencil skirts and suits! I’ve found that I am even more productive and energetic when I put thought into styling my activewear!
- LAYER: Layering activewear helps with comfort, function and transition. I am beyond cold natured, so I keep a warm layer with me at all times. I’m the girl wearing a cardigan in July! I love pairing a cozy layer over a tank that performs as well at happy hour as it does in the gym. The athleisure industry is doing an amazing job of creating pieces that are high performance while being totally appropriate to wear out and about. This tank is a perfect example – feminine, flirty, high performance and high style.
- FANCY SNEAKER: Like any girl, I love a pretty pair of high heels, but my lifestyle just doesn’t lend itself to many opportunities to wear them. I’m always looking for ways to dress up my leggings and I’ve found that ditching my running shoes for a dressy sneaker does the trick! These and these have been best sellers this year and I think they are so fun! I also love these for style AND performance! A sparkly training shoe? #signmeup!
- LUXE BASICS: I am a believer in investing in basic pieces that are high quality, transitional and classic. I think this is as true with activewear as it is with office/professional attire. My advice would be to find styles you like and invest in neutral colors (#allblackeverything in my case…) that you can wear over and over again. I am the most comfortable in a high waisted legging, so I will spend more to have a few pair of those in my closet that bring me joy every time I put them on! These have been my go-to lately! I’m not big on patterns, but these are so unbelievably comfortable and are a fun option when I want to mix it up!
- ACCESSORIES: One of the easiest ways to take activewear and athleisure from day to night is to appropriately accessorize. I love to throw on a simple earring, a sparkly and dainty necklace and a great handbag. This handbag line is new to our store and they have ah-mazing pieces. They are hand crafted in Haiti by women who are providing for their families, which makes them even more special. I gave many of their pieces as Christmas gifts this year and they were all a huge hit! I find this one and this one so much better than a traditional gym bag, with plenty of room for all of my necessities!
- HAIR AND MAKEUP: I find myself in the biggest funk when I go for days and days with a ball of hair on top of my head and no makeup. I by no means think that hair and makeup are necessities or that women should feel pressured to have a full face of makeup on, BUT I have personally found that I enjoy finding a few (like 5-8 at most) minutes of the day to brighten up my tired eyes and obviously put on the brightest lips I can find ;).Here’s the bottom line: if beauty products bring you joy, use them. If they stress you out (in my case, liquid eyeliner), toss them. Do more of what makes you happy!
I hope these few tricks will help you to fall even more in love with your activewear! Let me know if you’d like to see more posts like this! Happy Monday to you and yours!
Stephen and I would also like to thank each and every one of you for the tremendous outpouring of love and support you’ve sent to us regarding our fertility journey! You won’t know what your prayers, support and love means to us on this side of heaven!
Sending love to you!